Well, Joey is finally napping - so I thought I would take the chance to write something about the holidays. Forgive me if I have to cut it short.
Let me start by saying I love the holidays - everything about them! I love that it gets cold, and there is snow, and that the malls are packed with crazy people. I love buying gifts, even the hard to buy for folks, and I love wrapping, and sending cards, I love decorating and baking and eating and well, just about everything!!!!!!
So why is it that this year I found it a little harder to keep my excitement level up? Well, I will try to tell you as I figure it out for myself.
I think a lot of it has to do with traditions..... they feel a bit lost this year. People can't find the time to put in the extra effort and make time for their friends and family anymore :(
I'm not talking about anything specific, just a combination of things. It feels like people don't want to drive out of their way, or let things go like they should - it feels like people are getting selfish and want the season to revolve around their schedule. Its really too bad. I am totally not saying I am not included in that group either... oh no no no. I was invited to a holiday party that I'm sure would be a good time, and I was a little tired - so I decided not to go! How bad is that?? I couldn't get my tush in gear enough to take a drive. Totally lame I know. I even had the thought - well if they were closer I would go! Awful I tell ya!
When I was little there was tons of thing going on - buying the best and biggest Christmas tree (That sometimes took many trips to many places), wrapping family gifts, baking with my mom and gram, watching dad make soup, not telling on my brothers as they unwrapped gifts and then wrapped them back up! Anyway it was a time for family - and as I got older my friends were a major (And still are) part of what I call family. It just makes me sad to see things like getting together for dinner become a hassle and a time suck. I want to go back to the days where it wasn't about how much you spent on someone, but that you got them something you know they will love! I try to do that still... I try to think about the person I am buying for and not just checking someone off a list....
I donated a little money to children's hospital this year for some gifts and that made me feel good... and some people did it for Joey too - fantastic! That's what it is about, helping people who need it and doing what you can - spending time with people you love and making things easy for others.
So that's what I am going to try to do - let it all go. Be there when my friends can be there - enjoy the small moments, say yes to breakfast with the team in the morning, stop working through my lunch. Call my brother more. Talk to Bridget and Heather more... sit on the couch for a little while, write my blog! Don't worry about the dishes or the laundry!!!
I will let you know how I do - you will be able to see for yourself as I go... .hehehe help keep me on track!
No comments:
Post a Comment